By Paul Christesen,Donald G. Kyle
A significant other to activity and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity provides a chain of essays that follow a socio-historical viewpoint to myriad points of historical recreation and spectacle.
- Covers the Bronze Age to the Byzantine Empire
- Includes contributions from quite a number foreign students with quite a few Classical antiquity specialties
- Goes past the standard concentrations on Olympia and Rome to ascertain recreation in towns and territories during the Mediterranean basin
- Features various illustrations, maps, end-of-chapter references, inner cross-referencing, and an in depth index to extend accessibility and help researchers
Read Online or Download A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar history of sports books
We are accrued right here: to pick and rejoice the metal urban 500, the best athletes in Western Pennsylvania background. a number of notes of clarification as you are getting your beer and getting ready to argue with the alternatives. First, in relation to crew activities, we are proscribing our choices to people who competed right here at both the collegiate or specialist point.
The heritage of the advance of the ski on Mt. Mansfield in Stowe, VT, the Ski Capitol of the East. information and anecdotes of the method are instructed through of the most important gamers, Sepp Ruschp and Charlie Lord, (in their very own words). each one path, each one construction and every elevate are chronicled. via those files donated to the Stowe historic Society, we find out how trails have been reduce by way of hand, males have been carried via horse and wagon, structures (dorms, ski huts, camps, shelters, and so forth.
ContentAs Brazil 2014 will once more convey, the FIFA international Cup is a mega-event via billions of spectators world wide. This quantity is the 1st scholarly try to seize the historical past of the FIFA international Cup in its entirety. From the 1st international Cup in 1930 to the single in 2010 the event has exerted powerful affects and acted as an incredible indicator of political, monetary, social and cultural advancements.
For far of the 20 th century, boxing used to be certainly one of America’s hottest activities, and the heavyweight champions have been figures recognized to all. Their exploits have been mentioned frequently within the newspapers—often outdoor the activities pages—and their status and wealth dwarfed these of alternative athletes. lengthy after their heyday, those icons remain synonymous with the “sweet technology.
- Sport Policy and Governance: Local Perspectives
- Once There Were Giants: The Golden Age of Heavyweight Boxing
- The Wildcat Way: A Journey into the History Books
- The Notorious John Morrissey: How a Bare-Knuckle Brawler Became a Congressman and Founded Saratoga Race Course
Extra resources for A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Paul Christesen,Donald G. Kyle