By Brian W. Shaffer
- Covers quite a lot of authors from Samuel Beckett to Salman Rushdie
- Provides readings of key novels, together with Graham Greene’s ‘Heart of the Matter’, Jean Rhys’s ‘Wide Sargasso Sea’ and Kazuo Ishiguro’s ‘The is still of the Day’
- Considers specific subgenres, equivalent to the feminist novel and the postcolonial novel
- Discusses overarching cultural, political and literary tendencies, resembling reveal variations and the literary prize phenomenon
- Gives readers a feeling of the richness and variety of the unconventional in this interval and of the power with which it remains to be discussed
Read or Download A Companion to the British and Irish Novel 1945 - 2000 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Zora Neale Hurston, Richard Wright, James Baldwin, and Chester Himes have been all harassed by means of critics and publishers to enlighten mainstream (white) audiences approximately race and African American tradition. targeting fiction and non-fiction they produced among the Harlem Renaissance and the Black Arts circulation, Eve Dunbar’s vital ebook, Black areas of the mind's eye, examines how those African American writers—who lived and traveled outdoor the United States—both rfile and re-imagine their “homegrown” racial stories inside of a sophisticated framework.
Throughout the innovative period, the U.S. frequently suspended its personal legislation to manage racialized populations. Judges and directors depended on the rhetoric of sovereignty to justify such felony practices, whereas in American pop culture, sovereignty helped authors coin tropes that experience turn into synonymous with American exceptionalism this present day.
Toni Morrison encompasses a number of ten new essays through famous Morrison students, together with recipients of the Toni Morrison Society booklet Award. Focusing upon Morrison's so much lately released novels (Paradise, Love, A Mercy) the individuals to this quantity revisit concerns that proceed to have interaction Morrison and are a part of the forex of up to date American literary and cultural background.
The frequent use of digital communique on the sunrise of the twenty-first century has created a world context for our interactions, remodeling the methods we relate to the realm and to each other. This severe creation reads the fiction of the prior decade as a reaction to our modern crisis – person who attracts on new cultural and technological advancements to problem verified notions of democracy, humanity, and nationwide and worldwide sovereignty.
- Cyberpunk, Steampunk and Wizardry: Science Fiction Since 1980
- Class in Late-Victorian Britain: The Narrative Concern with Social Hierarchy and its Representation
- Sappho (Gay & Lesbian Writers Series)
- The Crime Fiction Handbook (Wiley Blackwell Literature Handbooks)
- Eminent Authors of the Nineteenth Century
- Theory's Empire: An Anthology of Dissent
Extra resources for A Companion to the British and Irish Novel 1945 - 2000 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to the British and Irish Novel 1945 - 2000 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Brian W. Shaffer